If this is your idea of refreshing, you’re not alone! But there are lots of reasons why this isn’t the best thing for your body. What happens when we drink cold water is that it causes blood vessels in the stomach to shrink as it passes through our system slowing digesting and making it harder to digest. According to Ayurvedic medicine, drinking very warm water, especially first thing in the morning, provides a huge benefit to our digestion, reduces metabolic waste which can help heal our bodies by boosting our immune system as well as benefiting digestion by tightening our intestines, aiding in elimination. Even if warm water is an affront to your taste buds, here are more reasons from Medical Daily on why it can make a huge difference in your life: • Cleanses Digestion A very warm cup of water in the morning can help cleanse your body by flushing out toxins. Water and other liquids help break down the food in your stomach and keep the digestive system on track. Warm water will help break down these foods even faster, making them easier for you to digest. Drinking cold water during or after a meal can actually harden the oil in consumed foods and therefore create a fat deposit in the intestine. Adding ice to processed cold water will strip it of natural-containing minerals, as these minerals are essential to keeping the digestive tract healthy. Luckily, you can replace a glass of cold water with a warm one to aid digestion, especially after eating a meal.
• Aids Constipation At one point or another, many of us are plagued by this common stomach problem where we have little to no bowel movement. The strain felt during elimination, accompanied by bloating, is brought on by a lack of water in the body. Drinking very warm water in the morning on an empty stomach can help improve bowel movements and aid constipation while breaking down foods as they smoothly pass through the intestines. Stimulating the bowels will help return your body back to normal functioning.
• Alleviates Pain Warm water, considered to be nature’s most powerful home remedy, can help alleviate pain from menstruation to headaches. The heat from warm water is known to have a calming and soothing effect on the abdominal muscles, which can help provide instant relief for cramps and muscle spasms. According to Healthline, warm or hot water is usually better for cramps, as hot liquids increase blood flow to the skin and help relax the cramped muscles.
• Sheds Excess Pounds If you’re on a diet, chances are you’ve heard drinking a glass of warm water first thing in the morning can help with weight loss. Warm water increases body temperature, which therefore increases the metabolic rate. An increase in metabolic rate allows the body to burn more calories throughout the rate. It can also help the gastrointestinal tract and kidneys to function even better. Physicians recommend drinking warm water in the morning, with lemon, or with a tea. This is shown to decrease free radical activity in the body. Drinking a glass of warm water and a lemon will help break down the adipose tissue, or body fat, in your body, and also control food craving due to lemon’s pectin fiber.
• Improves Blood Circulation The fat deposits in the body are eliminated along with accumulating deposits in the nervous system when you drink a glass of warm water. This flushes out the toxins that are circulating throughout the body and then enhances blood circulation. Making sure the muscles are relaxed will eliminate poor circulation and blood flow.
• Halts Premature Aging Premature aging is a woman’s worst nightmare, but luckily, this can be prevented by drinking warm water. The presence of toxins in the body can lead to aging faster, but warm water can help cleanse the body from those toxins, while repairing skin cells to increase elasticity. To reap the health benefits of warm water, drink it every morning with fresh lemon or lemon juice.
By: Ascension Lifestyle Staff Writer Genevieve Elena